CropIn Technology Solutions: Farm Management through Digitization
(7 pages of text)
CropIn Technology Solutions (CropIn) of Bangalore, India, provided agricultural solutions to business-to-business clients that required a “smart” approach in solving issues related to farm productivity. In July 2015, the chief operating officer (COO) of CropIn, was approached by the chief executive officer of one of the world's foremost seed companies. He presented the COO with an ongoing problem faced by his firm: the seed rejection rate had drastically increased in the past decade, reaching 18 per cent in 2015, up from four per cent in 2006. CropIn was asked to devise a “smart” solution for addressing the issue, for which CropIn would have to customize its product portfolio according to the problem.
This case is suitable for a graduate-level course on business process management or information systems. It discusses the uses of digitization in subsistence markets, acknowledging the institutional voids prevalent at the bottom-of-the-pyramid level. It gives students the opportunity to do the following:
- Become familiar with the use of digitization in subsistence markets in a developing nation such as India.
- Think about the philosophy of analytics and business process management.
- Understand the importance of waste reduction (defects/rejections) in agricultural processes.
- Appreciate the relevance of analytics and digitization in solving complex problems where the causes of problems are numerous and difficult to identify.
- Understand the basic problems in the agricultural sector in developing nations and the need to address such problems by minimizing existing inefficiencies in the system.
Agriculture, Forestry, Fishing and Hunting
India, Small, 2015
$4.25 CAD / $4.25 USD Printed Copy
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Permissions
$3.75 CAD / $3.75 USD Digital Download